Domestic Violence Awareness Month evolved from the first Day of Unity observed in October, 1981 by the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. The intent was to connect battered women advocates across the nation who were working to end violence against women and their children. The Day of Unity soon became a special week when a range of activities were conducted at the local, state, and national levels.
These activities were as varied and diverse as the program sponsors but had common themes: mourning those who have died because of domestic violence, celebrating those who have survived, and connecting those who work to end violence.
CALENDAR OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AWARENESS EVENTS
- Domestic Violence Awareness Press Conference Wednesday, October 1st, 2014 at 10:00 am
Crime Victim’s Resource Center
244 Plymouth Ave S, Rochester, NY 14608 Alternatives for Battered Women (ABW) and the Rochester/Monroe County Domestic Violence Consortium (DVC) invite you to the October Domestic Violence Awareness Month kick-off at our Annual Press Conference with Mayor Lovely Warren and County Executive Maggie Brooks. This years focus on Domestic Violence is Dating Violence. Participants are encouraged to wear purple as the color for domestic violence awareness. Thank you for all you do to help survivors in our community.
Light it Up Purple! The Rundel Library, City Hall and the Public Safety Building will shine purple lights for the month of October.
- Wed., 10/1 Rochester Police Dept (click here for info)
- Wed., 10/1 Alex & Ani Fundraiser (click here for info)
- Sat., 10/4 Walk a Mile in My Shoes to benefit ABW (click here for info)
- Mon., 10/6 You Are Not Alone: Voices of Survivors of Violence”( click here for info)
- Wed., 10/8 Helen B. Montgomery Conference “The Exploitation of Women”( click here for info)
- Sat., 10/11 RESOLVE Scarecrow 5K & Family Fun Run/Obstacle ( click here for info)
- Sat., 10/11 Pasta Dinner to benefit RESOLVE ( click here for info)
- Thu., 10/23 Fairport Settler’s Club Card Part to benefit RESOLVE ( click here for info)
- Fri., 10/24 United Nations Associations of Rochester UN Day Conf ( click here for info)